By the beginning of January, I started to wonder if I had all the gear I needed. My gig was some weeks away, and I was getting concerned that my Line 6 Spider II, even though it was 75 watts, was more of a glorified practice amp than a rugged gigging amp. There were some practices where it struggled to keep up with volume and it was very directional having only one speaker.
I liked the Line 6 concept – using digital circuitry to mimic it’s analogue counter part – the Tube amp. I liked the idea that I can get several amp sounds out of a single amp. It’s a nice solution for someone like me that’s going to play all types of music from Pink to Bon Jovi.
If I was going to do a metal or hard rock band only – then yes, one tube head, one cabinet would be the way to go. However, I have logistic issues. I live upstairs so I’d have to trudge whatever I have 19 steps up. I also drive a sedan – a big one, but it’s still a sedan. So the combo amp is still the best solution for me. (Note: combo amps are amps that have the amplifier power and cab in the same box – as opposed to “stacks” where you can buy a 100watt, 200 watt or 400 watt head and mix and match with various 4 speaker cabinets). Combo amps are almost always mic’d into the PA system. That’s not always ideal since you have to relinquish control over your volume to someone else and trust me, it doesn’t always turn out well and balanced. But that’s what I was going to use.
I started googling and checking the forums for who used what, plus I started looking at ebay.
My current rig had only 4 presets on it’s footswitch and offered delay, chorus, phase shifter, and reverb, as well as a wah pedal on the footswitch. I needed more presets than that so I bought a used FVB Shorboard for $100 that can handle up to 64 presets. This board doesn’t have any effects on it – it’s just controlling the effects already on the amplifier. There are about 12 models on this amp – I would be using about 4 of them, but with or without various effects. I would have about 6 or 7 presets ready for the first gig.
So I had a board. Great. I needed tools, strings, and picks and somewhere to keep them. Tadaaa! – I went to Walmart and found the Craftsman’s organizer. With the help of a razor, I modified the compartments to accommodate what I needed to carry. I have a double locking tremolo system on my Ibanez Presteige – you need a hex wrench to replace strings, as well as a wire cutter to cut the ball bearing off the end of the string. Batteries, and a flashlight. This works great.
My search for an amp continued. I’d heard good things about the Flextone series and the Vetta II series from Line 6 – both these amps are discontinued. They introduced a new line of amps that seemed to be aimed more at the metal market (Spider Valve with tubes in the preamps), and then the DT series which was well over $1000 that was made to work with their Pod series of effects boards.
Finally, I found a Flextone III amp – 150 watts and 2 12″ speakers. This had more like 16 amp models and these models were built to emulate existing amps – Fenders, Marshalls, Bogners, etc. It was old – built in 2004 – and the owner, who was local to me in Berkeley – was asking $155. It would also work with the shortboard I had just bought. I met that bid and waited. No one bid again. There was no bidding war – time ticked by right up to the deadline and no one swooped in to grab it. It was mine. I almost felt bad for the guy. Almost 🙂
I got it home and within the first 30 minutes, I found a problem. The volume would drop out on me. The tone would distort when it shouldn’t. Arg! Did I just waste $155? Long story short, I found a great repair shop (and expensive) that would do a complete overhaul on the amp. The only problem was I would get the amp back on Feb 3rd – the same day as my gig with no time to work with the presets. Oh well, I was going to use my Spider II for the gig with the new shortboard. (Although when I did get the amp back, they had cleaned and re-soldered all the connections and knobs and it has been working 100% since. Only cost me $280, so total money spent was about $435 – still not a bad deal for the power and versatility).
Some stuff I couldn’t get used. I used a combination of Musiciansfriend.com and Amazon.com. I picked up an amp stand by On Stage – they make pretty good stuff. When you have a combo amp, it helps to get it off the ground and tilt it up a bit so you can hear yourself better.
And since this band uses music stands, I bought a (again On Stage) sturdy music stand. And miscellaneous stuff including pick holders, clip on reading light for the music stand, string winders, multi-tooled guitar tools, and a few other things I’ll talk about when I post about my final, complete rig. This took some time and thought to pull together, plus I will take pictures. I wasn’t done making purchases by the time I played my first gig, so I’ve got more to say on that, but for that time, I had what I had to get through the night.
On to the show…